The economic and financial changes we’re going through are unprecedented, and trying to keep up with it all is an impossible task. This newsletter presents some of the most important, interesting, and unexpected economic and businesses news of the week based on a set of statistics. This list is compiled by some of the economics and business experts at EvolvEd, who offer lessons in subjects from basic economics to stock picking (to much more).
- 7.1% is the increase in sales experienced by US-based Domino’s Pizza stores from March 23rd to April 19th. The company plans to hire 10,000 new workers to deal with increased demand from customers in lockdown.
- 450 is the number of trips that the Chinese delivery drone startup Antwork has completed without an accident. The company has been flying samples for Corona Virus testing to and from hospitals.
- $5 billion is the size of the settlement between Facebook and the Federal Trade Commission that was approved by a judge on April 24. The settlement is the largest ever attained by the FTC and is in response to Facebook’s privacy violations. Facebook’s revenue in 2019 was $71 billion.
- $4.2 billion was the size of the deal for Boeing to purchase 80% of Embraer’s commercial jet business. Boeing walked away from the deal to conserve cash in the face of the pandemic and the fallout from the 737 Max scandal.
- 16% is the increase in average daily traffic on Netflix from January to the end of March. Streaming services experienced vast increases in demand as more and more people were stuck inside.
On EvolvEd you can find experts to teach you the fundamentals of business, economics, stocks and many more topics. Go beyond the headlines by truly understanding what is behind the economics that governs our lives.
- Drones: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-scramble-for-delivery-robots-is-on-and-startups-can-barely-keep-up-11587787199
- Settlement: https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebooks-5-billion-privacy-settlement-wins-court-approval-11587752759