The economic and financial changes we’re going through are unprecedented, and trying to keep up with it all is an impossible task. This newsletter presents some of the most important, interesting, and unexpected economic and businesses news of the week based on a set of statistics. This list is compiled by some of the economics and business experts at EvolvEd, who offer lessons in subjects from basic economics to stock picking (to much more).
- 0.648% is yield on the US 10 Year Treasury Bill. Bond prices have risen in recent weeks as investors seek safer assets. This, in part, has been driven by further expectations of a “v-shaped” economic recovery being unlikely.
- $6 billion is the value of Grubhub, according to an evaluation by Uber. The rideshare giant is looking to expand further into the food delivery business.
- 15% is the maximum service charge foot delivery services will be allowed to charge restaurants in New York City if a proposal that caps fees is passed.
- 100% is roughly how much the price of beef in the US has risen since last year. The US is facing meat shortages due to closures of plants because of widespread Covid-19 infections.
- $1.36 million is the maximum fine France imposed per hate speech post on a social network if the post is not taken down within 24 hours of notification.
On EvolvEd you can find experts to teach you the fundamentals of business, economics, stocks and many more topics. Go beyond the headlines by truly understanding what is behind the economics that governs our lives.
- Grubhub: https://www.wsj.com/articles/uber-discusses-paying-1-9-of-its-shares-or-just-over-60-a-share-for-grubhub-11589397815
- Caps: https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-city-moves-to-limit-fees-from-meal-delivery-apps-11589408912
- Beef: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/05/13/the-spread-of-covid-has-caused-a-surge-in-american-meat-prices
- Fines: https://www.wsj.com/articles/france-threatens-big-fines-for-social-media-with-hate-speech-law-11589398472