The economic and financial changes we’re going through are unprecedented, and trying to keep up with it all is an impossible task. This newsletter presents some of the most important, interesting, and unexpected economic and businesses news of the week based on a set of statistics. This list is compiled by some of the economics and business experts at EvolvEd, who offer lessons in subjects from basic economics to stock picking (to much more).
- 6% is the amount the profit of Tencent rose in the first quarter of 2020. The largest online videogame company by revenue has experienced far more demand recently.
- 17% is the expected U.S. unemployment rate for June according to a sample of economists interviewed by the Wall Street Journal.
- 0.8% is the amount the consumer-price index fell in April. The CPI measures changes in the price level of a basket of good and services. This is the largest drop since 2008.
- 59% is the projected share of Indian banking transactions that will be on digital payment platforms in two years according to the Boston Consulting Group.
- 45 million is the rough number of vaccines for Covid-19 that the Serum Institute of India expects to have produced by September. It is based off an unproven vaccine created at Oxford University. It is a big gamble that may result in a massive payoff or an embarrassing loss for the company.
On EvolvEd you can find experts to teach you the fundamentals of business, economics, stocks and many more topics. Go beyond the headlines by truly understanding what is behind the economics that governs our lives.
- Tencent: https://www.wsj.com/articles/tencent-profit-rises-after-coronavirus-fuels-demand-for-online-games-11589384353?mod=tech_lead_pos4
- Unemployment: https://www.wsj.com/articles/wsj-survey-coronavirus-is-delivering-severe-blow-to-u-s-economy-11589378404
- Digital: https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2020/05/09/in-bleak-times-for-banks-indias-digital-payments-system-wins-praise